Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mount & Blade
Mount & Blade 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Mount and Blade or Mount and Musket, anyone?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Mount & Blade 07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
In chronological order...

The original Mount and Blade was one of the most unique experiences I have ever had in video games.

Mount and Blade: Warband is about the most addicting game I have ever played. It's the only version in the series that I still play, however I do play it heavily modded these days.

Mount and Blade: Fire and Sword lost my interest very quickly. But it was mostly because I don't like firearms in my medieval combat. That and I couldn't get into the whole realistic eastern european world.

I've only ever played single player, but if anybody wants to play some multiplayer i'd happily give it a try.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
RE: Mount & Blade 07-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I've been playing Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars dlc and its been pretty fun, while I was dead and just spectating I happen to catch a glimpse of some awesome cavalry tactics.

I will definitely be playing this game some more haha. All members, get this game and lets play!
RE: Mount & Blade 07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
What do you do in that game?
RE: Mount & Blade 07-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Short answer: Ride a horse and kill stuff.

Long answer: The single player campaign is a very open ended sandbox RPG/Medieval Combat Simulator. There are several factions/nations and you start out as a lone adventurer. There's no storyline whatsoever. You can get quests from key NPC's, you can trade goods between towns/villages, you can buy/sell armor/weapons/horses, you can form your own party of NPC soldiers that you can march around the map and fight battles with other parties, raid villages, assault/defend castles/towns. You can do all of that on your own or you can become a vassal for one of the factions, and fight against the other factions, gaining lands and glory for your faction. Do enough good for your faction and you'll be rewarded with towns/castles/villages of your own. Or, you can aspire to be your own king and establish your own kingdom. Whether you're fighting for another king, or for your own kingdom, the ultimate goal is to take over the world.

The original Mount & Blade and it's expansion Warband take place in a fictional but somewhat believable world of Calardia (or something like that) ... it's kinda like off-brand Europe, it all is kinda familiar territory and flavor but with made-up names. The other expansion, With Fire And Sword, tries to put in some story and more realistic eastern European history and nations.

Either way, this is a medieval/early renaissance game. It is NOT a fantasy game. There are no orcs, no goblins, no dragons, no elves, no Tolken or Warcraft crap whatsoever. It's realistic humans versus realistic humans. Really you can throw out all that other junk I just told you about the single player experience because this game's bread and butter is the combat. Realistic medieval combat. Mount up on a horse and couch your lance and go try to take down some heavy knights on the field. Parry your enemies attacks, but make sure that you're blocking for the correct direction or else you'll be watching the rest of the battle from the killcam. Hit them with a blunt weapon so you can take them prisoner after the battle and sell them off to slave traders for some major ca$h. Better yet, knock out a lord and hold him prisoner until his family pays ransom for his release... just hope he doesn't escape in the meantime. Oh yeah, different types of weapons/attacks do different types of damage... so be aware of when using, let's say a sword, that swinging it causes "cutting" damage which is less affective against armored foes, but if you thrust with that sword you'll be doing "piercing" damage which is more affective against armored foes.

Oh I could go on for a while with this...
RE: Mount & Blade 07-19-2012, 07:01 PM
That's all very well, and indeed the games are quite unique and very enjoyable, specially the combat system is very well done imho... but err... did you just call Tolkien crap, Grim? Tongue

Shame on you! Big Grin
RE: Mount & Blade 07-20-2012, 04:50 AM
I do, sir! Wouldst thou care to challenge thee to a duel!?
RE: Mount & Blade 07-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Why would I wanna challenge myself to a duel? Tongue
RE: Mount & Blade 07-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Because if you fought me then you'd have no chance of survival but versus yourself at least then you'd have a chance to win Tongue
RE: Mount & Blade 07-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Good point. Big Grin